Friday, March 19, 2010

Day 3

So, yeah. Sorry about yesterday. It was pretty hectic.
Anyway, we had the dirrty Southern food. It was everything I hoped it would be. Nasty fried food. Chicken fried chicken with peppercorn gravy (used goat's milk), mashed potatoes with gravy, and fried okra. You can't get much more Southern than that. My wife loved it, I knew she would. I joke with her all the time about being Murray (its a county next to ours that is referred to as country/redneck)and this food is what they eat all the time. Don't get me wrong, it was great. But you can't eat it everyday. Baylee (8 year old) had a problem with the gravy on her chicken. She is in that OCD stage of nothing can touch. She has to rinse her fork before she eats something different. I know, we were all like that, I think.
Yesterday was 70 F and sunny, so I decided to change our house over to spring. So that's where all my time went yesterday. I'm so excited about it becoming warm and colorful again! I get so inspired with cooking from the changing seasons.
Last night for dinner, we had Chicken Carciofina! A very springy, light dish. You usually serve shrimp with that, but neither Baylee or Carla (my wife) like shrimp. You got to work with what you got. It's a dish of roasted red peppers, tomatoes, spinach (I didn't have any), white wine, vegetable stock, lemon juice, butter, and pasta. And of course, chicken. You sear off chicken and finish in the oven, mean time, in the pan used to sear chicken you add the peppers, tomatoes, and garlic. Saute until garlic is tender, add wine to deglaze and then add stock and lemon juice. Let that cook down to half and then add pasta and butter. The sauce should be buttery with a strong hint of lemon. You can use any pasta. I used a cheese tortellini (Baylee really loves that kind of pasta). They loved it!
Chloe didn't sleep again. I was up for even longer. She really needs to start sleeping again. It's killing me and Carla, mainly Carla.
I started prepping for dinner for tonight. Olive oil, lemon, garlic, and thyme poached tenderloin. It will be served with a light demi and papperdelle pasta. I think it will have spinach this time. It will need some color. I'm really excited about this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment